Seller Account
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Discussion Forums » Sell on Amazon » General Selling on Amazon Questions

Thread: Why do Amazon allow buyers to return CDs and DVDs
This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 19 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 22 Apr, 2017 6:14 AM by: Bewksy
Bewksy

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 10:05 AM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Why do Amazon allow buyers to return CDs and DVDs when there is nothing wrong with them. Obviously after being copied.
Is this a helpful question? Yes 6   No
19 Replies
Sort replies by:
Went Vale Elect...

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 12:52 PM   in response to: Bewksy in response to: Bewksy  
Simply ditch FBA and take control yourself. No other person will look after your business better than you, some under paid overworked droid aint gonna do it for you.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 28   No 3
Melchior

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 10:26 AM   in response to: Bewksy in response to: Bewksy  
I think you've inadvertently revealed another (intentional?) consequence of getting rid of condition notes - It was impossible to get a free rental for change of mind reasons if the DVD/CD/game/blu-ray was sealed but now we media sellers are specifically blocked from detailing this in advance it's that much easier since the removal for unscrupulous "buyers" to pretend it wasn't and bluff their way to a refund. I've successfully denied return requests in the past on more than one occasion because a buyer wanted to return after opening it for no other reason than change of mind. Where can I point to that as a defence now?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 17   No 2
Bewksy

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 10:27 AM   in response to: The Pink Panther in response to: The Pink Panther  
The media in question is sealed but the customer just has to say the item is it faulty and they can return it for free and who at FBA is going to check it for a fault.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 15   No 2
buyyourleaves

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 1:52 PM   in response to: Bewksy in response to: Bewksy  
I am in exactly the same situation as yourselves, semi-retired, due to fully retire this year & just want something to top up my pension & give me an interest doing something I enjoy. I also use FBA for the very same reasons plus not being very technical its good to have someone else deal with that side of things. I also sell books as well as dvds/cds & have the same problem there, people returning books when their 30 days is nearly up claiming to have ordered the wrong item, seems a long time to realise this but ample time to have read them.
I just tend to think that the advantages of not having the upkeep of premises, being able to trade 24/7 etc. outweighs these little niggles we have to put up with. I feel the majority of buyers are genuine & honest it just seems that when you do get these hiccups that the ratio of good to bad is thrown out of proportion.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 12   No 1
Bewksy

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 12:07 PM   in response to: splendid-books in response to: splendid-books  
We do take advantage of FBA and cost returns in, however, prior to FBA, we had very few returns and now the amount is significant which proves to me that there are more than a few unscrupulous punters.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 11   No 2
Emma H

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 1:14 PM   in response to: Melchior in response to: Melchior  
I received a dictophone recently and it had a sticker on it saying it could not be returned for change of mind once it had been opened. Obviously not as good as the condition notes, but couldn't do any harm. I know you'd still get the odd liar, but even with the notes you get them
Was this reply helpful? Yes 8   No 1
The Pink Panther

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 1:00 PM   in response to: Bewksy in response to: Bewksy  
Bewksy wrote:
The media in question is sealed but the customer just has to say the item is it faulty and they can return it for free and who at FBA is going to check it for a fault.

I have had that in the past with new sealed DVD box set returned as faulty, on it's return discs had multiple scratches but all discs played fine, I offered the buyer either a 50% refund, or return of the set, they opted for return and complained that all other sellers accepted the return and refunded in full ;)

It just confirmed my conclusion they used the site for a free rental service, Amazon supported my position, but I guess you are at the mercy of FBA returns, swings and roundabouts on the risks -v- benefits of FBA -v- SF?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 8   No 1
Jenhams

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 1:21 PM   in response to: Bewksy in response to: Bewksy  
Simple - they do not care about you, only their turnover which does not show a decrease on refunded items.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 8   No 2
Bewksy

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 12:58 PM   in response to: Went Vale Elect... in response to: Went Vale Elect...  
Couldn't agree more. We do FBA because we are semi retired and getting on a bit and selling on Amazon is our pension. It does have it's advantages like not having to post out orders as well as the Prime advantage which I have to say has helped our sales. Returns is the only downer so far. We are not big sellers so the cost isn't so high but customers getting stuff for free by copying and sending back as faulty is very annoying to put it mildly.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 7   No 2
Jenhams

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 1:26 PM   in response to: splendid-books in response to: splendid-books  
The return / refund process has ALWAYS been out of sellers control, as Amazon ALWAYS find against their own sellers in any refund situation.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 3
Went Vale Elect...

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 3:19 PM   in response to: Bewksy in response to: Bewksy  
There are some metallic hollographic looking labels on the market that once peeled off, leaves part of the lable behind saying void if removed or non returnable if removed. Maybe they could be an answer stuck over the opening of the case, you could stick them on before sending to Amazons hubs. Just a though.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 1
The Pink Panther

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 10:19 AM   in response to: Bewksy in response to: Bewksy  
Sealed media can't be returned once the seal is removed, so unless claimed as faulty, not eligible for change of mind return, so the issue you raise clearly relates to used (unsealed) media which is an issue as you say, but refusing return risks an A-Z and loss of money and item, at least if returned and in same used condition as sent, then you can resell again.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 4
Bewksy

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 2:25 PM   in response to: buyyourleaves in response to: buyyourleaves  
Agree with all that you are saying. Perhaps us old fogies need to enter the real world of dog eat dog.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 2
buyyourleaves

Posted on: 21 Apr, 2017 6:53 PM   in response to: Bewksy in response to: Bewksy  
A couple of years ago I might have agreed but now don't think it's worth the hassle. If I can run my business successfully & make a few extra quid I'm content with that.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0