This article applies to selling in: United Kingdom

Japan Tax and Regulatory Considerations

Important: Information on this page does not  constitute tax, legal, or other professional advice and must not  be used as such. You should consult your professional advisers if  you have any questions.

This section covers tariff and duty  rates, prohibited goods, and non-residential requirements for  sellers interested in selling in Japan.        

Regulations and product labelling obligations

Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law (PSE    Mark)   

When importing electrical appliances in Japan, the product  must comply with the standard under the Electrical Appliance and  Material Safety Law. This law prevents the sale of hazardous  products and any electrical appliance that are considered a  safety hazard. The importer has the obligation to conform to this  law and attach the PSE Mark, which acts as proof of conformity,  onto the confirmed products.

Visit Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law  for more information.

Technical Regulations Conformity Certification for Radio  Equipment (Technical Conformity Mark)

To sell products that emit radio frequencies, the product must  conform to the technical regulations specified in the Radio Law,  and the product must have a Technical Conformity Mark, which acts  as proof that the product is in accordance with the law.

Visit the Radio Use website for more information.

Consumer Products Safety Act 

Below are some examples of products that may be subject to the  Consumer Product Safety Act and require a PSC mark:     

  • Pressure cookers and autoclaves for home use   
  • Helmets (automotive, cycle, and so on)
  • Baby beds
  • Climbing ropes
  • Portable laser-applied equipment
  • Hot water circulators for bathtubs
  • Oil water heaters
  • Oil bath boilers
  • Oil heaters
  • Indoor instantaneous gas water heaters (for city gas and LP    gas)
  • Bath boilers with indoor gas burners (for city gas and LP    gas)
  • Forced-flue type oil warm air furnaces
  • Built-in electric dishwashers
  • Electric dryers for bathrooms
  • Electric fans
  • Electric air conditioners
  • Ventilators
  • Washing machines
  • CRT-based televisions

Download   Outline of the Consumer Products Safety Act  (PDF) for more information.

The Household Goods Quality Labelling Law 

The Household Goods Quality Labeling Law provides labelling  obligations in order to enable consumers to make informed buying  decisions when purchasing household goods. The law establishes  what must be displayed on product labels in order to provide  appropriate information for the product. The law applies to  textile goods, plastic manufactured goods (such as water  purifiers, baby feeding bottles), electrical appliances, and  miscellaneous manufactured goods sold in Japan.

Other resources 

Food Sanitation Act and food labelling 

When you sell food products and products intended for infants  and small children (such as feeding bottles, eating utensils,  plates, and toys), you must comply with the Food Sanitation Act,  which ensures food safety for the public.

Visit the Food Sanitation Act for more information.

Also, any food products sold in Japan must have proper labelling to inform the consumer on information such as, but not  limited to, ingredients, origin of ingredients, nutritional  information, transfatty acid, and transfat labelling.

Visit Consumer Affairs Agency, Government of Japan for more information.

Pharmaceutical Affairs Act 

When you advertise and sell pharmaceutical products and  medical devices sold in Japan, you must comply with the  Pharmaceutical Affairs Act. Visit   薬事法 (Japanese) or  consult with a professional before selling these products.

Intellectual property rights 

Please ensure that you do not infringe intellectual property rights of other parties when you sell your products in Japan. You  are prohibited from selling counterfeit or illegal parallel  imports. You may also want to consider protecting your own  intellectual property rights in Japan.

Visit the   Japan  Patent Office for more information.

Additional information for EU sellers

Under European Union VAT rules, Amazon calculates and collects EU VAT on Selling on Amazon fees related to sales made by sellers on who do not have an EU VAT registration number and are a resident of an EU member state. Amazon charges the standard rate of VAT applicable to your EU member state of residence and will provide you an invoice where it is required by local law. For more information, see this European Commission web page. 

If you are a resident of an EU member state and have an EU VAT registration number, provide your EU VAT registration number to avoid having EU VAT applied to your Selling on Amazon fees. From Seller Central click Settings, then Account Info, then click "Edit" in the European VAT Information section.

For more information about VAT in the EU, see the Europe Tax and Regulatory Considerations help page.

Sign in to use the tool and get personalised help (desktop browser required). Sign in

Reach Hundreds of Millions of Customers

Start Selling on Amazon

© 1999-2020,, Inc. or its affiliates