user profile
Sign in
user profile

Royal Mail 24/48 & the "Your package may be lost" message prompting customers to request refunds

by Seller_9tqVXAASUiPK2

We send a lot of large letter products via Royal Mail 24. Obviously we are going to have more late deliveries and “lost” items than usual due to the strikes, and the backlogs etc.

The whole situation is made worse by Amazon prompting customers to request refunds for Royal Mail items that don’t show as delivered. It is really frustrating and going to make things a lot harder when it comes to dealing with customers.

Below is an example of what the customer gets in their app when a Royal Mail 24 isn’t scanned as delivered.

Even in normal times Royal Mail only scan somewhere around 80% of items so on a service which isn’t fully tracked it’s ridiculous to prompt the customer to request a refund if the item doesn’t show as delivered.

Tags: Packaging, Royal Mail
37 replies
37 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_9vYzAspLN0bEC
In reply to: Seller_9tqVXAASUiPK2’s post

Amazon does that, its part of customer service. We have stopped using RM a few months back. The service is so bad, only interested in surcharges.
Best thing is not to use RM.

user profile
Seller_GVJbZ3Sx0LoMn

Putting 2d tracked please scan me stickers on your LL does improve the scan rate slightly but it’s time consuming and much less hassle just to give the odd refund

user profile
Seller_B4VbHpnDLDLAU

This was prolific through 2020 covid with pushes from amazon via email. It’s reduced as I don’t think they send emails but they still do on the order page.

Especially with strikes and cost of living. The rate of claims is appealing. Even with tracking claims are ridiculous.

user profile
Seller_9tqVXAASUiPK2

I know it’s not a new thing, but it causes unnecessary problems because the customer starts the dialogue requesting a refund for a product that is most likely just delayed due to a nationwide issue with the countries main postal service.

I see quite often on the just use FBA argument which we do where we can, but isn’t applicable to most of our products because we mainly sell personalised items. To be competitive we have to use Royal Mail for anything that goes as a large letter because as that’s what everyone else is doing.

user profile
Seller_9tqVXAASUiPK2

But back to the topic - this is an example of a message that I have received this morning:

“Hi, I’m just wondering when the item will be arriving as Amazon is now telling me I should get a refund for how late the item is.”

In normal times it’s easy enough to swallow it up as it’s few and far between, but this is just the beginning of the strikes really, as before they weren’t in peak and recovered reasonably quickly.

user profile
Seller_Jj3RbP7yEYxg1

I had one this week who’s item was sent tracked and scanned but amazon system didn’t update to say delivered and prompted the buyer to ask for a refund, tracking showed map coordinates photo of parcel in hand

they admitted they had the item but amazon said they can have a refund so they wanted a refund,

obviously I refused as they had it, admitted they had it so left me a 1 star feedback saying poor service because I would not refund them as amazon had told hem I would do.

these emails/messages on orders just encourage fraud.

user profile
Seller_KZhPnqSRrvTv0

Amazon don’t care if the item is held up and that their message will cause you problems, I’m afraid that’s just the truth of it. We add a second label with an official RM logo on it, stating, ITEM MUST BE SCANNED UPON DELIVERY. Our VTR is usually around 90%, so this should help reduce these customer requests for a refund.

user profile
Seller_2IqU6eYHmCUaV

Ahh the dreaded Amazon" may be lost " letter has appeared again !
I had a Honest Customer send me a copy of the same " may be lost " Amazon letter received last year, they had received my item and were more than happy with the item and my service .
I just passed it off as a Amazon glitch!

Recently it has appeared again , as a example, I got the following message on 21-Nov-2022 08:22
Hello. As the item I have ordered is running two weeks late, I would like to ask for a full refund and return if possible as I no longer need it. Thank you.
21-Nov-2022 10:45
Hi Thanks for your message .
To protect us both, your item was sent by a RM 24 GPS Tracked on delivery service.
As you advised that the item hasn’t arrived.
I have checked your tracking number to see its current position in their system.
Your item is showing as already delivered
Perhaps someone has got the item and forgot to tell you?
Please check and advise me , before I make further Investigations with Royal Mail and Action Fraud re. non delivery claim
Kind Regards xxx

I couldn’t check delivery with the RM system being down ! . but just maintained it was delivered
( tongue in cheek to see what happened) , never HEARD ANYHING SINCE! Worth a try. maintaining & sending a message back.

Previous messages back on checking the package was found , Husband had it , Daughter took delivery etc

Good luck with the Scammers !

user profile
Seller_B4VbHpnDLDLAU

2 negative feedbacks this weekend because some people cannot wait an extra day or 2 due to the strikes.

There seems to be something in the air this month with complaints from buyers

user profile
Seller_9tqVXAASUiPK2

It’s just so frustrating! Here is the perfect example of the problem this causes.

1st Message:

“It says if I have not received my order by today I can get a refund, I have not received my order and would therefore request a refund”

I replied apologising for the delay, confirmed when the item was dispatched and it was it on the way to to them and should be arriving any day now due to the strikes.

Their second message:

“Hi,
I have had to purchase another present due to exchanging presents yesterday, as you can see from the attached screenshot I am due a refund, so I would kindly like my money returned to me”.

I just don’t think the interaction with buyers would be the same if they weren’t told to request a refund by Amazon. It causes the customer to skip the where my item messages and goes straight to give me a refund stage.

Amazon know the delivery service that I used has a 80%ish is scan rate, and they know Royal Mail were on strike.

I have shipping setting automation turned on, dispatched within the handling times agreed and I trust Amazon control the ETA of our items as it’s what they encourage you to do.

I don’t get why it’s in their interest to lose the sale buy encouraging refunds.

Go to original post