user profile
Sign in
user profile

RFS refund query

by Seller_hjqmUZTSDvjTW

A buyer returns an item because they decide they don’t want it. I want to wait until I get it back and then refund only the cost of the item and not the postage allowance. However, Amazon calculates a refund and issues it when the return label is first scanned, and they refund the postage allowance as well as the purchase price. All I can do is to additionally refund the cost of the return label. How can I get control of the refund process?

Tags: Shipping labels
5 replies
5 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_SITNVuZK87zGK
In reply to: Seller_hjqmUZTSDvjTW’s post

OK

So irregardless of the return reason, consumer law stipulates that the customer is entitled to outbound shipping refund (unless they paid for faster shipping in which case for a change of mind return, you would refund the standard shipping cost). To attempt to deduct outbound shipping from a refund is against the law in the UK.

And amazons process now is to provide a prepaid return label (at your cost) and they will refund the customer at the first point the return is scanned. If it is a return reason where the customer is to be charged for the return postage, this cost will be deducted from the refund.

The only items that you can get control of the return process, are those over £100, but you need to upload a list of the applicable ASINs

user profile
Seller_hjqmUZTSDvjTW

Ok, thanks for the clarification. It does rather negate the whole concept of the Shipping Allwance, though, doesn’t it? And there is guidance on Amazon which suggests that a seller can withhold it - perhaps that is for non-UK sellers then.

user profile
Seller_SITNVuZK87zGK

I’m not sure how it negates the shipping credits sorry. You might have to show where amazon suggest that as a seller you can withhold the outgoing shipping costs.

However, the following is from the amazon customer facing Return Policies page. For change of mind returns, as in this case, you are required to refund the cheapest shipping cost (ie, the shipping costs the customer paid unless they opted for a premium delivery of some kind.

user profile
Seller_xUKHc5xSYJmI4

Subect to what is being returned its falls under the heading buyer responsibilty

10 No longer needed or wanted Buyer

Details found on the link below

https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/help/hub/reference/G202080050?mons_sel_mkid=amzn1.mp.o.A1F83G8C2ARO7P&mons_sel_mcid=amzn1.merchant.o.A18K41UGBAFB97&mons_sel_persist=true&stck=EU

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post