user profile
Sign in
user profile

Amazon ask for UK VAT number for UK company below VAT registration threshold

by Seller_845rNvV7AMWf8

Received an email in Chinese asking us to provide a UK VAT number as this is required for non UK sellers that store goods in the UK. Else our selling account will be disabled. However we are a UK company that sells below the VAT registration threshold. I contacted support and was first asked for a screenshot of the email, then I received a new reply with much information about VAT ending with this:

However, if you do not exceed the threshold, I will kindly ask you to open a new case through the link below with your Self-Assessment Certificate and your Company Registration Certificate attached :
https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/contact-us/contact-amazon-form.html

First, what is a self-assessment certificate?

I opened a new case and send the company incorporation certificate, and received a new reply about VAT, but saying that it’s up to us to comply, no mention of the threat to disable our selling account.
Anyone else struggling with this?

Tags: International expansion
93 replies
93 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_z6B2L9xab6HlP
In reply to: Seller_845rNvV7AMWf8’s post

As far as I’m aware Self-Assessment is for a personal tax return, not a company one. I think they’re on about the corporation tax UTR.

user profile
Seller_0pkMTMROIPEmY

Self Assessment Certificate is generated when you complete a Self Assessment Tax Return, this would be required if you are running a business from home etc.

Who must send a tax return

You must send a tax return if, in the last tax year (6 April to 5 April), you were:

self-employed as a ‘sole trader’ and earned more than £1,000
a partner in a business partnership

You will not usually need to send a return if your only income is from your wages or pension. But you may need to send one if you have any other untaxed income, such as:

money from renting out a property
tips and commission
income from savings, investments and dividends
foreign income

https://www.gov.uk/sa302-tax-calculation

user profile
Seller_JngolOjvvhtIK

if your stock is held in the uk then you do need a vat number regardless of turnover.

user profile
Seller_K8edOfPu9HEmN

As a UK based limited company trading under the UK VAT threashold you do not need to be VAT registered…End of!!!

I would treat that email as either spam or phishing. Hope you’ve not clicked on any of the links

user profile
Seller_DwJtMsCpm3QDH

very saddened and shocked about people offering advice from websites and google AND not chasing or confirming it with HMRC

Amazon is a law upon itself… sometimes peoples cases and been just and fair, some have just faced the axed for simple issues.

It depends on yourself, how much you wish to fight this.

user profile
Seller_fcCE9oIHSHQr9

I have got an email about this as well, it said that if I don’t provide a VAT number within 55 days, my account will be shut down lol. I have a limited company but I am a non resident and don’t exceed the threshold but I am probably just going to register anyways…

user profile
Seller_mLf3eyOXHPyz5

can i get an link to upload my uk vat number

user profile
Seller_845rNvV7AMWf8

So I received another email written in Chinese so I had to use translation to understand this serious message. They write they will freeze our account in 6 days if we don’t provide a UK VAT number.

The email says that a non-UK company that stores goods in the UK must provide a UK VAT number. However we are a UK company, but this fact is simply ignored!

user profile
Seller_f5cnodyVjLD4S

FBA stock in the UK ? You are resident in which country?

user profile
Seller_845rNvV7AMWf8

What happens if a pallet of goods is delivered to YOUR office?

Go to original post