user profile
Sign in
user profile

Take action now: Prepare your Amazon business for Brexit

by News_Amazon

The UK is due to formally leave the EU’s Single Market and Customs Union from January 1, 2021. While UK-EU negotiations are ongoing (including determining what tariffs, if any, will apply), from January 1, 2021 there will be a customs border between the UK and EU which will have an impact on businesses working across this border.

From Monday, December 21, 2020, Cross-Border fulfilment via EFN and Pan-European FBA will start winding down, stopping in full on Monday, December 28, 2020. To maintain your European sales, you will need to send products to fulfillment centers in the UK and the EU. Refer to the preparing for Brexit section for details.

Seller-fulfilled orders (where the seller is using a 3rd party carrier) can continue to be fulfilled across the UK-EU border. It will be the seller’s responsibility to ensure all duties and tariffs are paid prior to delivery to the customer.

To help you stay informed of changes that may affect your business on Amazon, we have consolidated important updates and frequently asked questions related to Brexit on Prepare for Brexit Help page

Tags: News and announcements
82 replies
82 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_0xavPE91kwzcZ
In reply to: News_Amazon’s post

Super helpful…

Take action now for something that has zero information given on what is required. (and we have 48 hours to figure it out!). Is this some sort of guessing game we are playing?

user profile
Seller_nWlW4fHfHgsmO

Since we are responsible to ensure all VAT is paid prior to delivery, other than methods available through couriers such as DHL and UPS anyone know how you do this when posting via Royal Mail?

user profile
Seller_sFEUMUfeW5484

It will be the seller’s responsibility to ensure all duties and tariffs are paid prior to delivery to the customer.

Why, just another stupid rule from Amazon. If someone buys something from my website, they pay the duties etc. They’re the one that wants it.

Also to add duties/tariffs PRIOR to the sale is impossible, completely impossible. Are you suggesting I just increase all my prices for EU marketplaces by 20% - 30%. And then what about returns, because if teh buyers just sends it back without declaring it’s a “return” we will get billed for inbound duties AND have to refund the buyer their inbound duties {Moderator edit: inappropriate language removed}

user profile
Seller_RQ95UG6N1PeIW

I’m 99% sure they’ve just copied and asked the same “get ready” post as they had done up before the deal was agreed.

They really need to have specifics now.

user profile
Seller_sj3DlpIq1S3mI

Has anyone seen any specific guidance on SFN Prime sales to the Channel Islands?

We’re looking at delays of up to 72 hours to complete the relevant paperwork and possibly a surcharge to cover that admin of up to £50, which means it won’t be commercially viable nor will we be able to meet Prime delivery deadlines.

So far I’ve had nothing beyond “new policies will apply from January 1st” in reply to queries raised with seller support, which is both obvious and totally unhelpful.

user profile
Seller_FD8BoydH0labJ

Wow, I don’t think I could have written anything so generic even if I tried.

user profile
Seller_KM2No8jybV32S

I’m fine with being compliant, if anything it ends the silly situation that we’ve had where VAT is paid by a customer to another countries government.

I’m very confused as to what we need to do to be compliant, for example, non EU based companies are supposed to have sales tax deducted as source by amazon and forwarded to the relevant customers government, but as a seller I have no details on this.

If we send into the EU using a courier, what are we supposed to declare and how if Amazon have already dealt with the sales tax, how do we articulate this to the courier/customs border?

I’m sure it will all become clear in due course but its certainly an unknown for us right now.

Also do we need a XI EORI number to send to end customers in NI?

user profile
Seller_0xavPE91kwzcZ

Just spent an hour looking through the Prepare for Brexit government help page yet again. It is about as useful as a chocolate teacup telling you very little with immense vagueness and a huge lack of clarity. I guess everyone will find out next week when the couriers have had more time to understand what’s involved? In the meantime, we are all in a type of holding pattern which is damaging to business for many obvious reasons.

user profile
Seller_EhuYZbzg8LYnf

Hi

Can some one tell me with free trade can we send goods uk fba and amazon ships to europe warehouse like before as free trade is back on now like before

user profile
Seller_sFEUMUfeW5484

For FBM sales on ANY Amazon platform, to an EU country, Amazon have said that the BUYER must not incur any additional fees (import duties, vat etc) beyond what is charged on the actual order.

Amazon have not said this doesn’t apply for sales on the UK marketplace for orders into an EU country.

If I have missed this, please provide a link to the info. Thanks.

Go to original post