user profile
Sign in
user profile

Seller information requests for UK VAT purposes

by Winston_Amazon

Sellers may receive a request for information from Amazon to confirm where their business is established. This is a requirement under UK VAT law and we aim to minimise any inconvenience it may cause to your business.

Why is this information required?

Online retailers, including Amazon, are required to undertake steps to confirm where a Seller is established in order to comply with VAT law.

In addition to any information already provided to Amazon, we may require further information from a Seller as part of our due diligence and the ability for Sellers to disburse funds may be temporarily restricted while this takes place.

Further information on the documentation required is available at: https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/gc/vat-education/voec-uk-establishment

Under UK legislation introduced on 1st January 2021, Amazon is required to collect and remit VAT for Sellers that are established outside the UK. Further information will be provided to Sellers where this applies.

Further information

We encourage Sellers who require assistance that is not addressed on the help page, Determination of "Establishment" for EU VAT, to reach out to Seller Support via Seller Central: Seller Central Help > Contact Us > KYC.

Sellers can send their Determination of "Establishment" documents to kyc-drtax-verification@amazon.co.uk.

More information can also be found on the following help page UK VAT on e-Commerce (UK VOEC) Legislation – 2021 Determination of "Establishment" for UK VAT.

Tags: News and announcements
436 replies
436 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_mFUCwL9EwZc6Y
In reply to: Winston_Amazon’s post

Can you help me? After sending my documents I keep getting replies saying :

For reasons of privacy and account security, any email correspondence about your selling on Amazon account must originate from the primary account holder's sign-in email address.

The email address that you have used to contact us is not registered to a selling on Amazon account

user profile
Seller_hOZNPw7G8FIjl

This post is adding insult to injury ;(

user profile
Seller_ZT0rfR9zgOaFo
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_wWPx75JkvJ6vg

UK legislation also says that companies, and Amazon is not above the law, must store and process personal data securely.

Email is NOT secure.

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid

@Winston_Amazon At long last it is good that someone from Amazon has finally acknowledged this new verification requirement, and assume it is as a response to the incredibly long thread, with over 1600 posts, which hopefully you, and others from Amazon have read from the very beginning.

Quote: Amazon is required to collect and remit VAT for Sellers that are established outside the UK. - this is one of the parts that confused many of us as it seemed that the first people that received this email were ALL established in the UK, several for many year (such as myself for almost 18 years), all the info held by Amazon indicated that we were in UK, bank accounts in UK, and many of us not even VAT registered, and never even sold in other marketplaces - so why did we even receive this email asking to prove our place of establishment when it was obvious from all the data held by Amazon that we are in UK ?

Although mine is now complete and I have had my fist disbursement since this, there are so many things that do not make sense. I myself supplied all the required documents, and then kept receiving repeat requests for the exact same documents over and over again !!

The main worry for many sellers is that their disbursements are totally suspended, and for some this is many thousands of pounds, and at a time of year when many have tax and VAT bills to pay, let alone staff wages, rental etc.

Surely this should have been targeted at those sellers who Amazon KNOW are based outside the UK first.

user profile
Seller_CJAn9FclIoBJn

We get this but sending requests for docs which are not actually in use in the UK is not helpful?

I was asked for a national identity card - no such exists in the UK.

A permit of residence - I have not emigranted to the UK.

We are fine with a check but ensure your processes are fit for purpose??

user profile
Seller_gOlDFgS5Li5Jc

but most of us have sent more than enough proof that we are uk established just to have a request for more documents its just not good enough and shows little respect for so called selling partners

user profile
Seller_mFUCwL9EwZc6Y

What country is this verification team located in?

user profile
Seller_gOlDFgS5Li5Jc

i can give you my old headmaststers name/address

my inside leg is 34 and i holiday in spain in autumn

i have sent everything else

user profile
Seller_yYbk8rRbPO3rN

Amazon sent me an email confirming that my documents had been verified on 29 January (all of which had been sent to Amazon previously) but my disbursements are still blocked, despite my account being healthy. Amazon has no grounds for withholding my funds and stock.

I have called the verification team several times who confirm that my information has been verified but they just say that I need to contact Seller Support. I have raised multiple cases with Seller Support and they just transfer it back to the verification team, who confirm that my information has been verified but tell me that I need to contact Seller Support as there is nothing they can do from their end.

And so on and so on, ad infinitum.

Seller Support have told me that this is system error, affecting hundreds if not thousands of sellers on Amazon UK, so why is Amazon trying to cover it up and suggest that this is due to sellers failing to provide the necessary information (which in most cases, Amazon already has)?

Amazon is behaving like the Post Office & Fujitsu in the Horizon scandal. It is clear from the thread on this subject (which now has more than 1.6K replies) that this is systemic problem, but Amazon is denying it and suggesting that we are all somehow to blame.

Some sellers are desperate, facing bankruptcy and being unable to pay staff, rent, bills or put food on the table for their children. At least 4 people affected by the Post Office/ Horizon scandal took their own lives, and it is only a matter of time before Amazon has blood on its hands.

Hopefully the multiple complaints being made to sellers' MPs, central government, the Financial Conduct Authority and the Information Commissioner's Office, as well as the press coverage over the coming days and the potential class action, will shame Amazon into admitting its culpability and to release our money and stock which it is withholding unlawfully.

Go to original post